Espaillat, Cicilline Statement Urging Accountability For Russian War Crimes
Thu, 10/06/2022 – 11:40
WASHINGTON, DC — Late last month, the United Nations’ Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine issued a scathing report finding that Russia committed war crimes in Ukraine. The Commission documented unlawful executions of civilians in more than 30 settlements, brutal executions, and sexual violence against Ukrainian communities, including children. In response to these horrific findings of war crimes and crimes against humanity, as well as Russia’s troop mobilization in the region, Representatives Adriano Espaillat (NY-13) and David N. Cicilline (RI-01) – authors of the Putin War Crimes Resolution, H.Res.964 – are urging the House to consider passage of their resolution to hold Putin accountable:
“Our resolution outlines Vladimir Putin’s indiscriminate targeting of innocent civilians and brazen assaults across Ukraine. Our “Putin War Crimes Resolution” makes clear that Putin is a man without remorse, a moral compass, or respect for international law. The United States must lead in the fight to hold Putin accountable for his war crimes – and strongly attest the global community will not tolerate these flagrant violations of international law and crimes against humanity,” the members concluded. “We urge this Congress to pass our resolution without further delay – and must do all we can to show our support of the people of Ukraine and families fleeing Putin’s war.”
The Espaillat-Cicilline resolution:
* Condemns the Russian government’s gross violations of international law amounting to war crimes and crimes against humanity, stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine, and supports the efforts of international organizations to help people displaced by war and conflict;
* Condemns the continued use of unlawful and indiscriminate violence against civilian populations by the government of Russia, its allies, and any other parties to the conflict;
* Urges that the global community hold Vladimir Putin and the Russian government accountable for war crimes committed during the military invasion of Ukraine;
* Urges the United States and its allies to continue providing defense security assistance and humanitarian aid to Ukraine as Ukrainians valiantly defend themselves against Russia’s military invasion;
* Supports the continued use of sanctions against Russia and its allies until Russia ends its military invasion and unequivocally recognizes Ukraine’s internationally recognized borders and political independence.
You can read the full text of the resolution HERE.